Best books to learn how to read, teach, and preach the Bible:
- How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
- She Can Teach (Wipf and Stock, 2013) by Jackie Roese
- NIV Application Bible Commentaries (available for every book of the Bible through Zondervan).
The top 6 books influencing my feminism:
- Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy ed Pierce and Groothius. This is the THE source to find theologians serious grappling with all the “problematic” Biblical passages.
- The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir. From the lover of Jean Paul Satre, also philosopher and existentialist I was delighted to find such sound thinking on womanhood. I did reserve the right to disagree with plenty, as well.
- Men and Women in the Church by Sarah Sumner. My favorite first find on how women distance themselves from other women when they find they’re “exceptional.”
- My Brother’s Keeper: What the Social Sciences Do and Don’t Tell us About Masculinity by Mary Stewart Van Leeuwen. Perhaps an unlikely book to find on this list, but pivotal for me seeing how feminism helps men, too.
- The Cultural Contradictions of Motherhood by Sharon Hays. The book that set me on the path to change the way I would do mothering in public and private, to try to change the way mothers are perceived.
- Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions: Engaging the Mystery of Friendship between Men and Women by Dan Brennan. This was the cement, helping me see how much feminism could do to undo the impassable wall between men and women.
Favorite movies on feminism, sexuality or faith:
Precious: Based on the Novel by Sapphire - heavy, necessary
Shows I watch:
- Kindlings – culturally engaging, winsome, imaginative podcast
- 70Candles – Women over 70 share how to enjoy life.
- Sandra Glahn - Dallas Seminary prof on scripture
- Baby wearing - where I got all my baby carriers
- Christian Doula
- Christian Feminism Today - smart Christian feminists
- Christian Nymphos - sex 201 and onward
- Emerging Mummy - Canadian blogger who writes on gender and life
- FullFill: Live out Your Influence – Christian women in leadership
- Gun-Toting Christian Woman - good reasons to carry
- Image-Bearing Sexuality - how to reclaim sexual expression
- Legacy - practical psychology
- Love, Joy, Feminism - atheist feminists recovering from spiritual abuse
- Mars Hill Audio- my favorite audio journal
- Krysta’s Life In Food - my goto foodie blog
- New Life - articles and Bible studies on women and equality by Marg Mowczko
- OneVOICE - Sexual abuse and recovery
- Theology for Women - see their post on complementarianism as idolatry
- Rachel Held Evans - current debates in evangelicalism
- Spiritually Abusive “Headship” - why so many women succumb to spiritual, sexual, emotional abuse from their husbands and why it’s so hard to leave.
- The God Journey – where I go for spiritual peace