Sites on Sexuality
- ThankGodForSex.org – a Christian community approach to healing sexual shame
- Dan Brennan – pioneer in advocating for Christian opposite sex friendships
- Sex Positive Christian Therapist – Tina Schermer Sellers blog
- TransGender Christian – theology, biology, philosophy
- BecomingHaileyB – transgender Christian woman’s blog
- Spiritual Friendship – on living as a celibate gay Christian
- Couples Intimacy Retreats – 3 1/2 days of getting intimacy and pleasure back into your marriage.
Best books to learn how to read, teach, and preach the Bible:
- How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart
- She Can Teach (Wipf and Stock, 2013) by Jackie Roese
- NIV Application Bible Commentaries (available through Zondervan for every book of the Bible).
The top 6 books influencing my feminism:
- Discovering Biblical Equality: Complementarity without Hierarchy ed Pierce and Groothius. This is the THE source to find theologians serious grappling with all the “problematic” Biblical passages.
- The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir. From the lover of Jean Paul Satre, also philosopher and existentialist I was delighted to find such sound thinking on womanhood. I did reserve the right to disagree with plenty, as well.
- Men and Women in the Church by Sarah Sumner. My favorite first find on how women distance themselves from other women when they find they’re “exceptional.”
- My Brother’s Keeper: What the Social Sciences Do and Don’t Tell us About Masculinity by Mary Stewart Van Leeuwen. Perhaps an unlikely book to find on this list, but pivotal for me seeing how feminism helps men, too.
- The Cultural Contradictions of Motherhood by Sharon Hays. The book that set me on the path to change the way I would do mothering in public and private, to try to change the way mothers are perceived.
- Sacred Unions, Sacred Passions: Engaging the Mystery of Friendship between Men and Women by Dan Brennan. This was the cement, helping me see how much feminism could do to undo the impassable wall between men and women.
Favorite movies on feminism, sexuality or faith:
Precious: Based on the Novel by Sapphire – heavy, necessary